The IPCFRC was established in 2006 to promote research into evidence‐based support for family carers of palliative care patients by fostering interdisciplinary and international research, establishing international partnerships and promoting information exchange.
The IPCFRC operates under the auspices of the European Association of Palliative Care (EAPC) and has been administered (“in kind”) by the Centre for Palliative Care (part of St Vincent’s Hospital and a Collaborative Centre of the University of Melbourne, Australia).
The IPCFRC was instrumental in the inception of the EAPC family carer taskforce (2010), and in 2019 it was awarded status as an EAPC Reference Group.
The IPCFRC EAPC Family Carer Reference Group is now also formally linked with the EAPC Task Force on Costs of Family Caregiving in Palliative Care.
Membership of the IPCFRC EAPC Family Carer Reference Group is free and is open to individuals and organisations around the world. Members are able to stay informed of sector news via our e-newsletters. Click here to sign up.
Aims and Objectives of the IPCFRC EAPC Family Carer Reference Group
- Promote the development of high quality research and scholarship to improve the wellbeing of family carers supporting patients towards the end of life.
- Provide a platform for international networking and collaboration.
- Undertake relevant steps to transition to an EAPC reference group.
- Contribute IPCFRC related content to EAPC e‐newsletters.
- Apply to host a family caregiver specific research forum @ EAPC 2020.
- Publishing a manuscript on strategies to overcome challenges in family caregiver research.
- Develop a core set of evidence and consensus based family caregiver outcome measures that will result in a toolkit to aid clinicians and researchers and also be published in an international peer reviewed journal.
Institutional collaborators of the IPCFRC EAPC Family Carer Reference Group include:
- St Christopher’s Hospice, UK
- International Observatory on End of Life Care (IOELC), Lancaster University, UK
- Centre for Palliative Care (a department of St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne and a Collaborative Centre of The University of Melbourne), Melbourne, Australia
- The Palliative Care Research Cooperative Group (PCRC) - Caregiver Core, Denver, USA
IPCFRC EAPC Family Carer Reference Group Management Committee
The Management Committee’s role is to oversee the strategic direction of the IPCFRC and implement an operational plan, as well as promoting IPCFRC in their region.
HUDSON, Peter (Chair)
Director, Centre for Palliative Care
St Vincent's Hospital & The University of Melbourne, Australia
GARDINER, Clare (Co-Chair)
Senior Research Fellow, Palliative and End of Life Care Research Group,
Health Sciences School, The University of Sheffield,
Professor and Director, Centre for Applied Nursing Research
University of Western Sydney, Australia
Professor of Palliative Care
The University of Manchester, UK
Reader in Palliative Care, King's College London
Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine; Cicely Saunders Institute, Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation, UK
Research Lead, Marie Curie Hospice, Glasgow
Honorary Senior Lecturer, School of Medicine, Nursing and Healthcare, University of Glasgow
UK & Scotland
PAYNE, Sheila (Ex-Officio)
Co-Director of the International Observatory on End of Life Care, Division of Health Research,
Faculty of Health and Medicine, Furness College
Lancaster University, UK
Professor in Palliative Care, PhD, Lecturer, RN
The Department of Health Care Sciences, Ersta Sköndal Bräcke University College;
Care Development Manager
Palliative Care Unit, Capio, Dalen Hospital
Professor/ Nurse, Institute of Health and Care Sciences
University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Chief Medical Officer, University of Colorado Hospital;
Professor of Medicine; Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs
University of Colorado School of Medicine, USA
Director and Professor, Nursing Research and Education
City of Hope, USA
DIONNE-ODOM, J. Nicholas
Assistant Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB);
Co-Director, Caregiver and Bereavement Support Services,
UAB Center for Palliative and Supportive Care
Professor, School of Nursing and Centre on Aging;
Associate Director, Research and Scholarship;
Research Scientist, End of Life Program, Fraser Health Authority
University of Victoria, Canada
LOUČKA, Martin (EAPC Board Link)
Director, Center for Palliative Care
DE VLEMINCK, Aline
Senior Researcher, End of Life Care Research Group
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) & Ghent University, Belgium
Applied Research Professor (Lector) Care for Family Caregiving,
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences;
Erasmus University Medical Center
International Palliative Care Family-Carer Research Collaboration (IPCFRC)
EAPC Family Carer Reference Group
c/o Centre for Palliative Care
St Vincent's Hospital
PO Box 2900
FITZROY, VICTORIA, 3065
t: +61 3 9416 0000